Anoka County is the 4th most populous county in Minnesota, spanning from Fridley in the south to Saint Francis and Bethel in the north and bordered by the mighty Mississippi River. And within those borders lie some of the state’s best camping, parks, and picnic pavilions. We’ve compiled a list of some of the must-see parks in Anoka County.
Explore the Wargo Nature Center
The Wargo Nature Center is located in Lino Lakes in the Rice Creek Chain of Lakes Regional Park. It offers educational opportunities and makes it the perfect place for field trips or scout groups to gain a badge. It also has:
Students and youth can experience summer day camps, self-guided hikes, and the Heritage Lab program that features multiple nature education stations for children grades 1 through 6.
This is a real-world, outdoor treasure hunting game using GPS-enabled devices. Visitors can pick up a free geocache passport at the visitor center.
The Wargo Nature Center is home to many birds, including woodpeckers, nuthatches, and bluebirds.
Canoe and Kayak Rental
Visitors 18 and older can rent canoes or kayaks for day use in the park for $30 for the whole day or $20 per two hours.
The Best Camping in Anoka County
Minnesota is home to some great camping all across the state. It’s not entirely secluded if that’s your thing, but it is the perfect spot to get away from the city and enjoy some outdoors. The pricing is as follows:
- Rustic sites $20/night
- 30-amp electric sites $28/night
- 50-amp electric sites #32/night
- Camper cabins (2 at each campground) $55/night
- Group camp $50/night at Bunker, $75/night at Rice Creek
Bunker Hills Campground
The Bunker Hills Campground has 71 secluded sites, with a mix of rustic and modern sites. There are plenty of sites with water and electrical hookups for those who don’t want to “rough it.” There is a group site that can accommodate up to 30 people. The campground has a dump station, flush toilets, showers, and a playground.
Rice Creek Chain of Lakes Campground
This campground has 80 sites, some rustic, some with water and electrical hookups. The sites are spread out over a large area, so you’ll have plenty of privacy during your stay. With a golf course just a mile from the campground, you can get a quick nine holes in during your stay! You can also swim, hike, and enjoy the beautiful nature in the park— all within walking distance of your campsite.
Where to Find the Best Picnic Pavilions
As the weather warms up (finally), you might be planning some summer birthdays and festivities with the family. And you’ll need a beautiful spot to do it! Why not one of the many picnic pavilions across Anoka County? Some are free, some are for rent, but just be sure to reserve them early to get a spot!
Pavilion Sizes and Pricing:
- Small pavilions can hold up to 50 people and cost $60/day during the week and $75/day on the weekend.
- Medium pavilions can hold between 75 and 150 people and cost $145/day during the week and $195/day on weekends.
- Large pavilions can hold 200-250 people and cost $235/day during the week and $315/day on weekends.
Here are 10 great parks that offer picnic pavilion rental to the public.
- Bunker Hills: 2 small, 1 medium, and 1 large pavilion. Their medium pavilions hold 75 people max. Their large pavilions hold up to 256 people.
- Rum River North: 2 small pavilions.
- Rum River South: 1 small pavilion.
- Lake George Regional Park: 6 small pavilions and 1 medium-sized.
- Rice Creek Chain of Lakes: 1 medium pavilion.
- Coon Rapids Dam: 5 small pavilions that hold just 7-10 people and 1 large 200-person picnic pavilion.
- Locke Park: 1 small and 1 medium pavilion.
- Manomin Park: 1 small pavilion.
- Riverfront Regional Park: 2 small pavilions.
- Martin-Island-Linwood Lakes Regional Park: 1 small pavilion.
Enjoying All That Anoka County Has to Offer
Anoka County is great for enjoying the outdoors. And while you’re at the park, you could be enjoying another area perk— premium plumbing service from Paladin Plumbing. Paladin Plumbing is highly experienced in all things plumbing.
Whether you want to remodel a bathroom or have an issue you need to be fixed quickly, we’ve got you covered. Contact us to get the ball rolling on a FREE plumbing consultation with one of our experts.